Sunday, November 22, 2015

One: Nov 16 - 22

I in them, and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 
Jn. 17:23

You know what Jesus prayed for us before He went to the cross? Not for our spiritual growth, not for our soul-winning skills, not for increased holiness. He prayed that His people would have unity. And not just a loose unity that means we all share the name "Christian," but unity that actually mirrors Christ's oneness with the Father.


Every morning this week, as I read the verses in John 17 that record this prayer, I became more convicted of my neglect for pursuing this oneness. I make myself the standard of 'normal' and assume that people are mostly like me and that God prefers it that way. The ones who aren't like me - who like different kinds of worship music, or different translations of the Bible, or different home decor styles, or live in different parts of the country - well, he tolerates them with a patronizing smile. He doesn't mind caring for them too, but really, He's my type.

How embarrassingly prideful.

In Jesus's John 17 prayer, and in the entirety of His ministry, He made it clear that He does not intend for His people to isolate themselves into cliques. He intends complete unity among His children. This is humbling for every self-centered Christian, but the reason He intends it is even more humbling.

Jesus said that this unity would "let the world know" that Jesus had truly been sent from God. Isn't it often lack of unity among believers that drives people from Christ? Don't many of our sins come down to a failure to live out the oneness that Jesus prayed for us? Do you see how much our unity matters?

Perhaps you are in a family that is shattered. Or a church that's been split. Or a community fractured down the middle by disagreements. Or maybe you just have a colleague you dislike or a member of your church you avoid. Jesus knows that oneness isn't easy. I think that's why He prays for it with such urgency. And if it's the theme of His last great recorded prayer, shouldn't it be the theme of at least a few of ours too?

If you're finding it hard to look down the road ahead and see oneness with other Christians, try making Jesus's prayer your own this week.

"I pray that all of us may be one, Father, just as You are in Christ and Christ is in You. May we be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent Jesus and have loved us, even as you loved Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment