Monday, November 16, 2015

Not My Life: Nov 9-15

They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. 
John 17:16-17

Christmas came to our home this week.


Watching this nearly-two-year-old show excitement about Christmas warms his mama's heart. A few times I found him sitting on the steps, just sitting and looking at the Christmas lights. And ever since we got his nativity set from the attic this week he's been constantly playing with the people and setting up scenes. He is delighted by the presence of Jesus in this house, though he doesn't yet understand the miracle that these toys represent.


Even though I had a baby Jesus kicking around the living room this week, I still found it hard to keep the truth of Christmas - of the world-changing plot twist His coming brought - in mind. I was still short-tempered with my husband and son. I still fretted over issues at work and at home. I still complained.

His arrival on this planet changed everything. But too often His arrival on a mantelpiece doesn't change anything.

A line from Paul Tripp's devotional helped my perspective this week:


"You have been called to be the look on His face, the tone of His voice, and the touch of His hand. Your life doesn't belong to you anymore."

I am chronically possessive of my life. Especially when life is ordinary and it seems like my wishes are generally coming true, I struggle to remember that I'm not in charge. I'm running my life, right?

But when life gets rocked - by Pete's injury, or bombings and shootings an ocean away - it's much easier to admit that I'm not writing the script. Even the glitch that knocked out our internet connection on Sunday night forced me to admit that my plans don't always work out.

And an unexpected peace comes when I recognize that no incident rolls into history without a Divine nod. Worry can melt when I remember that my breaths, my heartbeats, the winding path of my life are not in my hands. I can become a little bit more like Jesus when I stop fighting God for the steering wheel and allow Him to drive.

Christmas lights and a plastic nativity set don't make Jesus any closer than He normally is. But the next few months will layer reminders into my life of Christ's nearness and His kindness to me. So hopefully my tendency to run the show will be somewhat forced into submission.

Do you struggle with this too? The spiritual blindness to the miracle of being called into God's story and given the chance to play a part in it? After this week, in which we're finishing up readings in John 17, my weekly meditation passages will be focused on the coming of Jesus. Won't you join me in reading these passages each day? Let's focus our hearts and minds on what Jesus brings when He comes and how our lives fit perfectly in the puzzle of His great plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment