Thursday, August 13, 2015

MidWeek Mini: Prayer Routine


A few years ago my Bible Study group read A Praying Life by Paul Miller. The whole book is, quite obviously, about prayer, but it was Miller's discussion of his praying routine that made the most significant difference for me. Rather than a journal or a list, Miller uses index cards to keep track of the people and situations he's praying for. Each card lists one request. He doesn't necessarily pray through every card every day, but the stack of cards serves as a guide as he prays. I've adopted this technique for myself and found it tremendously helpful.


I keep my note cards in an vintage wooden purse made by my great-grandmother. It's the perfect size for 4x6 index cards. I hijacked a set of recipe box dividers to sort my requests into categories. At the front I keep a set of cards that I try to pray through each day. They include requests for our town, for our workplace, for my own struggles with sin, for my marriage, and for practical needs for our household. Ideally, I could probably arrange to pray through one additional section of requests each day, but I don't make it quite so regimented.


Each card includes the same items. The topic, person's name, or situation is at the top. I also indicate the date I first wrote the card. The card usually includes a Bible verse, or a few verses, that guide my prayers. Specifics to pray for are also included. Because the cards are intended to last a while, I do not list timely requests on the card. Cards for individual people list broad requests like marriage or financial decisions. Cards for situations like the church building campaign also paint a wide sweep of the needs so they can remain applicable.


Sometimes, a card will eventually indicate answers to prayer. In fact, an answered prayer does not retire the card. Often, an answered prayer is an encouragement to further prayer. The card of requests for our house is always changing. As we have specific needs, I add them to the card, and have been so blessed to see many of them directly answered. Several are still waiting for answers.


At times, a card will be retired or replaced with an updated one. Some requests become obsolete after a certain point, whether they've been answered as I prayed or not. And sometimes situations become so different that the specific requests no longer apply. If a friend I've been praying for enters a completely new stage of life - gets married, moves across the country, gets a new job - I may write a new card for her. Some of my cards are three years old and still just as pertinent as when I wrote them. Brand new cards and ones wrinkled from years of prayer share space in my box, reminders of the dozens of ways we need the Lord's help every day.

If you make an effort to pray regularly you know that prayer is hard work. Many days go by when I pray through only two or three cards. Still, organizing my requests in this way has made a big difference for me by making prayer less daunting and more rewarding. If you decide to give this method a try, I'd love to hear how it goes for you! Do you have a prayer routine that works for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment