Sunday, January 25, 2015

Little Boy Turns One: January 19 - 25

Be good to your servant while I live, that I may obey your word. 
Ps 119:17

TUESDAY
Mornings. I love them. The day is new. I'm the only one awake. Coffee and quiet time in my robe and slippers. Putting away clean dishes, making lunches and breakfasts, preparing for the day. The hour from 5:30 - 6:30 might be as peaceful as the day is going to get. Dawn smacks of heaven.

Mornings. I hate them. Shaking off dreams. Shaking out aches. Eyes so tired. I often feel defeated before the day even gets going. "What was that thing I was worrying about yesterday?" "Did I go to bed annoyed?" "Oh, shoot. Is today the day of that meeting?" Sunrise brings another day of bondage to this broken world.

The tone of the morning is set when the eyelids close at night. A heart left wandering as sleep comes will wander all night and be wayward in the morning. So the remedy for morning aimlessness is evening aim. Pointing the heart in the direction I'd like it to face when I wake up. Let's try this.

WEDNESDAY
This week, we've started having Henry eat dinner with us rather than have his own dinner time earlier than we eat. It's nice to make him feel like part of the family by sharing the same mealtime, and it's nice to start serving him (as often as possible) the same food we're eating. When he can't - like tonight when we had tacos - I've found an easy and yummy meal that's perfect for him. An egg, scrambled with some Baby Bam seasoning (recipe here) and cheese, served on toast. I cut it into bite-sized pieces, and it makes a perfect dinner.

THURSDAY
My little boy is one today.


I thought I loved him a year ago. And I did. But, oh how much more I love him now.

I won't bemoan the long-gone days of his babyhood (though I could). I won't get deep about how time flies and will only fly faster and faster (though I'd like to). I won't list off his milestones (though I'm proud of them) or speculate about what the next year will hold.


I'm grateful today - grateful every day - for this little life entrusted to me. Not one of the past 365 days has failed to bring me utter delight in my little son. But though his birthday reminds me of how dear he is to me, it's also a mile marker, reminding me that his days are ultimately limited. So are mine. So how I spend them matters.

I'm inspired today to make commitments that will better my son's life. No more pop radio in the car, more consistent prayers before meals, and being careful of my attitude since it will rub off on Henry. Though these are noble goals, and things I should work towards, the best thing I can do for my son is not a commitment to do anything. It's to give him up, to commit him to the Lord. In the 9 months of my pregnancy, in the 33 hours of my labor, in the 365 days of my motherhood, I have never been in control of Henry's life, safety, wellness, or eternal security. He has always been in much greater Hands than mine. So while caring for him diligently and thoughtfully and passionately will always be my primary occupation, it's helpful to keep in mind that all of his birthdays, and all the days in between, are cupped safely in our Father's hands.

Happy Birthday, my little boy.
I love you.


SATURDAY
We hosted our first birthday party today, for our little one-year-old. Birthday parties can hardly be homey anymore, with the pressure of pinterest and social media demanding share-worthy perfection (and of course, here I am blogging about my son's first birthday party.) But I did try to keep Henry's first birthday party low-key. We had alphabet soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni-and-cheese, fresh veggies and fruit, and homemade punch. The guest list was small, and with a few family members unable to make it, we all managed to cram around the dining room table to eat. There were gifts for the birthday boy (mostly opened by Mommy and cousin Ellie) and a cake (which was, I confess, inspired by pinterest). (Not a bad knock-off, though, I thought.)


I hope I'm never a mom who feels the need to impress, with her parties or any area of life. Lucky for me, party planning isn't my forte anyway. Our family enjoyed sharing an evening with a brand-new one-year-old and we enjoyed preparing to host them. It was a joy all around and a satisfying cap to our week.

I'll leave you with this driveby joyful smile.


Grateful this week for: 
summer-good blueberries
Henry taking his milk from a sippy cup happily
a deep sleep
the Dollar General
snow flurries
homemade cupcake frosting
lemon-scented hand lotion
Pete taking shifts with a sad Henry all night
humidifier
cozy morning in the living room
watching Henry obey an instruction
snowman-building
morning readings from Mark ch 10
Henry and Ellie hugs

No comments:

Post a Comment